Value of Platinum

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

HEX Entertainment has taken over publishing for HEX:Shards of Fate, you can read the details of this transition here. The Gameforge HEX forums are currently read only and will be shutting down on 22.03.2017. You can visit the new HEX web site and forums at hextcg.com.

• Value of Platinum

Has there been a massive increase to the value of platinum? I'm seeing gold getting bricked pretty hard but a lot of cards (especially set 1 and 2) seem to have completely fallen apart. Are people simply just dumping their S1 and S2 cards before they rotate out? While I can see that being a thing for previously commonly played rares/legendaries, I thought it was surprising that cards that weren't commonly played were even more bricked.
    • Platinum never changes value.
      It should always stay consistently at 100 Platinum = $1 (within reason - people will sometimes get Platinum at discounts, either by converting packs sold at 50% or buying G2A.com codes for plat)

Gold has decreased in value, as the farm rate has drastically increased. You can refer to the gold thread right here, and my last post for more information as to why.
      Gold is the only thing that will change in value based on how much plat players are willing to trade for it, that they pay for.... It just doesn't work the other way around, or at least never should.

(you can say that means plat's value has increased, but really the semantics of it is that the value of plat should relate to $, and value of gold should relate to plat, not the value of plat relating to gold...which makes sense I guess from a f2p perspective to only look at plat's value changing when the only currency you acquire it with is gold...)

The post was edited 1 time, last by NicoSharp ().

• Bricked as in worth as much as a brick (down)

I was mostly surprised that many set 1 and set 2 cards, including a lot of strong cards that used to be worth much more platinum has dropped so precipitously. Many cards that used to be worth a couple hundred platinum are now in the 30-50 range on the AH. My only assumption has been that the platinum supply has decreased due to tournaments endlessly draining the total money supply over the last couple of weeks and the result is that platinum in relation to cards has gained value.

I'm into weird theory like this, and I thought I'd get some more opinions on the topic. But this could all just be people mass unloading cards before they rotate out of Standard.
    • Aiyers wrote:

I was mostly surprised that many set 1 and set 2 cards, including a lot of strong cards that used to be worth much more platinum has dropped so precipitously. Many cards that used to be worth a couple hundred platinum are now in the 30-50 range on the AH. My only assumption has been that the platinum supply has decreased due to tournaments endlessly draining the total money supply over the last couple of weeks and the result is that platinum in relation to cards has gained value.

I'm into weird theory like this, and I thought I'd get some more opinions on the topic. But this could all just be people mass unloading cards before they rotate out of Standard.
      If there were something weird going on with the Platinum supply it seems likely they it would affect more than cards from Sets 1 and 2. You're definitely hearing hoof beats and thinking zebras here.
    • main reasons explaining the drop of set 1 and 2 :

- evomachup increase supply of set 1 and 2 cards
      - set 1 and 2 is about to rotate
      - set 1 and 2 cards for the most part are no more meta stapple.

But with the recent immortal annoycment some card will go up. Good time to flip some cards on the market

NicoSharp wrote:

Platinum never changes value.
      It should always stay consistently at 100 Platinum = $1 (within reason - people will sometimes get Platinum at discounts, either by converting packs sold at 50% or buying G2A.com codes for plat)
      instead, , 100 plat = $ 0,75 with european price policy
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

instead, , 100 plat = $ 0,75 with european price policy
      Bummer, I don't really follow the currency conversions, but that explains a lot regarding third party sales prices..
      yes there a garantied 25 % profit.
      And every euro player should be smart and not buy through them because this is cheaper in the AH.

I want also to point out : with the new hexsales.com which work like a peer to peer selling place. It would be quit easy for european players to make money on the back of us players. So even if i am strongly against a change of european plat price in euro, i am not really sure this kind of tool is a good idea. European speaking
    • Liquidator wrote:

To be honest, you can buy packs for less then 1 $ each, which you could sell for around 170p, thus The value of plat is decreasing, kind of. Oh and there was (or still is) an offer AT g2a.com with 7000p for roughly 39 € :)
      The G2A deals being back is disturbing. They disappeared for a good while...
      The Euro currency exchange also is a bit annoying. It just makes much more sense how people are able to quickly offer packs at $1 or less...
    • I try not to dwell on the Euro conversion rate because it only makes me angry. At this point, the problem has existed so long I don't expect it to ever be resolved. The olive branch to the Euro exchange rate was actually reasonable IF AND ONLY IF it had updated even semi regularly (4 times a year mabye, hell even 2 times a year).

Sure, I accept there would be angry people if they all of a sudden changed the Euro rate now, but the current situation can't be making customers paying with dollars happy to be getting far less platinum for their money.

They should have stuck to $1 equals 100 platinum like they originally promised in the KS. The olive branch (with no upkeep) has only put them in a position to alienate one side or the other now to a large degree. And I guess the brunt of that mistake falls on $ purchasers because of fear of change. So while, the value of platinum should be constant, it ultimately can't be because of the inequities of the Euro conversion. Makes baby yeti sad.
    • Raith wrote:

Sure, I accept there would be angry people if they all of a sudden changed the Euro rate now, but the current situation can't be making customers paying with dollars happy to be getting far less platinum for their money.
      we already had this discussion but this make no sense at all. $ customers don't get less platinum for their money. In fact, it's the $ customers who are able to buy more plat for their money if somehow their are able to pay in euro.

Outside this loophole, everybody in both side € or $ player, are paying and will pay the same price for ever. 100plat for $1 and 140plat for 1€. As an european i don't have any kind of discount on plat. My purchasing power is the same compared to day 1.

So statu quo is the best course of action here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gregangel ().

• Gregangel wrote:

No, Status Quo never really was the best course of action, it was just unfortunately chosen because GameForge didn't handle it in a respectable way.. IMO.

As long as US and EU are on the same server, this will continue to be an issue. It allows EU players to benefit more by third party trade. It hinders US players that attempt to third party trade. Giving EU players more purchasing power over time for less input. It has a ripple effect for any item ever purchased in client as well, or any pack purchased, or any tournament paid for. As soon as money is taken out of pocket, US players pay more all around for the same content, on the same server.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Raith wrote:

we already had this discussion but this make no sense at all. $ customers don't get less platinum for their money. In fact, it's the $ customers who are able to buy more plat for their money if somehow their are able to pay in euro.
      Outside this loophole, everybody in both side € or $ player, are paying and will pay the same price for ever. 100plat for $1 and 140plat for 1€. As an european i don't have any kind of discount on plat. My purchasing power is the same compared to day 1.

It's amazing how people who are on the receiving end of a problematic situation are so often unable to see the situation as a 'problem'.

Hex should have picked a currency, made that currency 100 plat per unit. Purchasing rates for other currencies then just need to be adjusted monthly to match changes in exchange rate.

But it might be too late for that, since EU people are used to benefiting like they do.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of American purchases are made in dollars. But you are correct, those who earn $ and buy in euros gain even more.

Regarding the purchasing power argument, they could have originally set 100p equal to 1 euro and your purchasing power would still be the same as day 1. However, Hex made the generous gesture to take into account the Euro currency difference. I don't see any other currencies that got that kind of special treatment.

Using two currencies with different values leads to market distortions. I prefer that in-game currency value not fluctuate based on a real world currency exchange rate. This also has significance to the cash out market when 100p is worth less than $1. They should have picked one currency from the very start (which they promised). Anyways, this argument falls on deaf ears, so I doubt you have anything to worry about.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Raith wrote:

Outside this loophole, everybody in both side € or $ player, are paying and will pay the same price for ever. 100plat for $1 and 140plat for 1€. As an european i don't have any kind of discount on plat. My purchasing power is the same c9mpare to day 1.

You're absolutely right that the problem is people that are making dollars and can convert them to euros for purchase. And that is what people have been complaining about all along. The real money value of cards is always going to be based on whatever the cheapest conversion to platinum is, which right now is the euro one. So the cost in dollars of all the cards goes down. To someone who does all their transactions in Euros that is largely irrelevant, but it does directly contradict Hex's statement that the dollar value of platinum would never change. And it means that people using dollars to buy platinum without converting to euros are essentially paying a convenience fee. 1 dollar buys 100 plat directly, or something like 130 plat if you take the time to convert to euros.
    • That conversation happened a while ago, and since it seems to be started again, I would just like to point out that "converting to euros" might or might not be againsst the ToS, as per section 3.2.5 or the Hex Shards of Fate Standard Terms and Conditions of Use.

It is not permissible to use the Gameforge Services via anonymisation services or similar means capable of suppressing or concealing the real IP address or the origin of the user.