Value of Platinum

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

HEX Entertainment has taken over publishing for HEX:Shards of Fate, you can read the details of this transition here. The Gameforge HEX forums are currently read only and will be shutting down on 22.03.2017. You can visit the new HEX web site and forums at hextcg.com.

• Making the Euro price correlate to the exchange rate of €/$ would mean that european players will never know how much t pay in future for platinum. At one time it could be 1 Euro for 100p, 4 months later its maybe 1 Euro for 140p or even 80p who knows. This woud result in poeple trying to hoard platinum when the exchange rate is good, thus making the purchase connected to the exchange rate.
      this would make prchasing Plat for european players a nightmare.

there is NO product where the prices are 1-1 to the exchange rate of €/$.

Not everything spins around your world my dear americans (I know America first and stuff)...
    • Fred wrote:

That conversation happened a while ago, and since it seems to be started again, I would just like to point out that "converting to euros" might or might not be againsst the ToS, as per section 3.2.5 or the Hex Shards of Fate Standard Terms and Conditions of Use.

It is not permissible to use the Gameforge Services via anonymisation services or similar means capable of suppressing or concealing the real IP address or the origin of the user.

Unless they outlaw American players buying Gameforge e-cards (which are in Euros), I don't think clauses about IP spoofing are really relevant.
    • Liquidator wrote:

Making the Euro price correlate to the exchange rate of €/$ would mean that european players will never know how much t pay in future for platinum. At one time it could be 1 Euro for 100p, 4 months later its maybe 1 Euro for 140p or even 80p who knows. This woud result in poeple trying to hoard platinum when the exchange rate is good, thus making the purchase connected to the exchange rate.

Not everything spins around your world my dear americans (I know America first and stuff)...
      I don't know why this always gets framed as a US versus EU argument. It isn't. The people benefitting (or at least not getting hurt) are Americans (that convert to Euros). The people losing out are everyone else.
    • Liquidator wrote:

Making the Euro price correlate to the exchange rate of €/$ would mean that european players will never know how much t pay in future for platinum. At one time it could be 1 Euro for 100p, 4 months later its maybe 1 Euro for 140p or even 80p who knows. This woud result in poeple trying to hoard platinum when the exchange rate is good, thus making the purchase connected to the exchange rate.

I'm Canadian. My dollar is worse than most of yours. I'll get screwed by this regardless of what way they go.

I don't care WHICH currency they choose to use. If it's dollar, euro, pound, yen... or hell, why not Peso?

They just need to choose one, and adjust the rest around it so that there isn't this messed up situation where the same card is worth a different amount dependent on the currency in which it is purchased with.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Liquidator wrote:

That may be true, but how many of those products don't fluctuate once in 3 years when the exchange rate changes dramatically?

People often mention 100p = $1 because that was Hex's statement. It's not a US vs EU thing. It's a statement by the company selling the product that platinum will be tied to a specific currency. If they came back and tied the price of platinum to the Euro (because of gameforge) so be it.
    • Mystery wrote:

Unless they outlaw American players buying Gameforge e-cards (which are in Euros), I don't think clauses about IP spoofing are really relevant.
      That is why I said "might or might not". The situation you describe is the one where it might not violate the ToS. However, one could also be tempted to use a proxy or a VPN to access the European Gameforge site to buy platinum in euros, and that would be a scenario that might break the ToS.
    • Liquidator wrote:

This is not true.

When I play MTGO it costs US$, I pay in NZ$ so the price changes based on the exchange rate.

When I buy T-Shirts from SuperHeroStuff they are priced in US$, I pay in NZ$ so the price changes based on the exchange rate.

The number of people who would "hoard" platinum based on the exchange would be tiny. People spend when they have money and spend less to none when they don't. I don't know anyone who refuses to order things they want when they have money because the exchange rate might change.
    • Yggdrasill wrote:

I don't know anyone who refuses to order things they want when they have money because the exchange rate might change.
      That's probably because you aren't in the UK or Ireland atm, where it's a massive consideration for a lot of people. The price of buying something from the UK, which is where a significant portion of our online shopping is done, changes on a weekly basis because of Brexit and people most certainly wait for a better exchange rate.
    • How about they leave the prices alone and each time a new set comes out they simply look at the conversion rates on that specific day and say "okay, this side of the Atlantic got shafted". They would they figure out what the difference is in the two rates and give all buyers who got the short end of the stick the difference in platinum. This would not tie up ridiculous amounts of manpower on a day to day basis and would otherwise be a way to significantly narrow the gap.

It'd be the very same as when Steam players got the short end of the stick and they gave them the difference at a later point in time.

World currency markets go up and down and trying to keep up with something like that on a daily basis is a futile effort. We would definitely have to keep this to watching 2 currencies though. But that's where most of the sales are.
    • Aiyers wrote:

How about they leave the prices alone and each time a new set comes out they simply look at the conversion rates on that specific day and say "okay, this side of the Atlantic got shafted". They would they figure out what the difference is in the two rates and give all buyers who got the short end of the stick the difference in platinum. This would not tie up ridiculous amounts of manpower on a day to day basis and would otherwise be a way to significantly narrow the gap.

It'd be the very same as when Steam players got the short end of the stick and they gave them the difference at a later point in time.

World currency markets go up and down and trying to keep up with something like that on a daily basis is a futile effort. We would definitely have to keep this to watching 2 currencies though. But that's where most of the sales are.
      Computers can do this million times a day without breaking a sweat. I would offer to write the code for free but I am sure Drew could do it better than me on his smoke break.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Platinum never changes value.
      It should always stay consistently at 100 Platinum = $1 (within reason - people will sometimes get Platinum at discounts, either by converting packs sold at 50% or buying G2A.com codes for plat)

Gold has decreased in value, as the farm rate has drastically increased. You can refer to the gold thread right here, and my last post for more information as to why.
      Gold is the only thing that will change in value based on how much plat players are willing to trade for it, that they pay for.... It just doesn't work the other way around, or at least never should.

(you can say that means plat's value has increased, but really the semantics of it is that the value of plat should relate to $, and value of gold should relate to plat, not the value of plat relating to gold...which makes sense I guess from a f2p perspective to only look at plat's value changing when the only currency you acquire it with is gold...)
      I wish this was the case but unfortunately it is not. Platinum is bought for different amounts depending on where you live. due to the fact the exchange rate is not updated at all that means it is more expensive to buy plat in $'s than it is in Euros. While this means that plat value will ultimately end up being somewhere in between the two costs it also means that I see plat as being worth more than those on the other side of the ocean likely do.
    • Sukebe wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

Platinum never changes value.
      It should always stay consistently at 100 Platinum = $1 (within reason - people will sometimes get Platinum at discounts, either by converting packs sold at 50% or buying G2A.com codes for plat)

Gold has decreased in value, as the farm rate has drastically increased. You can refer to the gold thread right here, and my last post for more information as to why.
      Gold is the only thing that will change in value based on how much plat players are willing to trade for it, that they pay for.... It just doesn't work the other way around, or at least never should.

(you can say that means plat's value has increased, but really the semantics of it is that the value of plat should relate to $, and value of gold should relate to plat, not the value of plat relating to gold...which makes sense I guess from a f2p perspective to only look at plat's value changing when the only currency you acquire it with is gold...)
      I wish this was the case but unfortunately it is not. Platinum is bought for different amounts depending on where you live. due to the fact the exchange rate is not updated at all that means it is more expensive to buy plat in $'s than it is in Euros. While this means that plat value will ultimately end up being somewhere in between the two costs it also means that I see plat as being worth more than those on the other side of the ocean likely do.

"It should always stay consistently at 100 Platinum = $1 (within reason - people will sometimes get Platinum at discounts, either by converting packs sold at 50% or buying G2A.com codes for plat)"
      I wish too, and I know what is going on, and it's frustrating, but that is the tale we were sold.