Guess how the 2 big plot points of Scars of War play out

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

HEX Entertainment has taken over publishing for HEX:Shards of Fate, you can read the details of this transition here. The Gameforge HEX forums are currently read only and will be shutting down on 22.03.2017. You can visit the new HEX web site and forums at hextcg.com.

• Guess how the 2 big plot points of Scars of War play out

We've about 100 unspoiled cards left unspoiled in Scars of War, and interestingly Hex Ent have avoided cards which give away the 2 big plot points for Scars of War:
      • How the (principally) Human vs Necrotic war ends peacefully
      • What becomes of the Orc mission led by Lazgar to kill the Primal spider queen Xentoth
      I won't go on a linking frenzy for the 1st of those, but this article brings us up to speed on the prophesized turn of events:

Not hide nor hare shall be undone
      Unless you seek the fallen one
      With tree and field and blood and stone
      And secrets that were never known
      A fellowship of three and three
      To break a plot and rulers free

Would anyone care to guess them, before spoilers or articles spill the beans? :)

------------------- My guesses -------------------

Human vs Necrotic war

I'm going to interpret the "fellowship of three and three" as simply the six Ardent characters we've seen working together:
      • 3 Humans = Princess Victoria, Reginald Lancashire, Lionel Flynn
      • 3 Ardent allies = Winter Moon, Gorn (formerly) of the Hell Pits & Wildshaper Kaliban (who was teamed with Reginald & Lionel in set 5)
      Obviously it is the Shin'hare who need to be "undone", and Prince Zakkaz is the fallen one key to this.
      I would speculate Prince Zakkaz's story is told by principally by the Tales series of cards:
      1. Tale of Trauma = life prior
      2. Tale of Undeath = resurrection
      3. Prince Zakkaz himself = Awakening antagonistic
      4. Pool of Wrath = riding into battle
      5. Tale of Carnage = hollowness of wrath
      6. ## Unknown plot points ##
      7. Tale of Insight = newfound wisdom
      8. Tale of Compassion = walking path of peace
      I am going to guess that the "secrets that were never known" are two-fold:
      • The Shin'hare treachery, with some dimension we aren't currently aware of - wild guess; Yazukan is depleting them as he plans to engineer his own quasi-undead 'race'.
      • Something the Human royalty are hiding that Prince Talysen was aware of - wild guess; the Human leaders have been rejecting diplomatic negotiations from the Necrotic for generations.
      In terms of Talysen's locket for his love and the matter of freeing rulers, I am going to tie the 2 together:
      • Talysen's love is Archmage Wrenlocke.
      • In his grief upon authenticating Talysen's death (in the Academy of Cerulea) Archmage Wrenlocke has called upon literal 'Absolute Power' to ensorcell King Gabriel, which is why he has been compelled to declare war, banish Victoria and execute any Necrotic who crosses his path.
      In which a scenario, the culmination of Victoria's quest will be bringing together Zakkaz, Wrenlocke & the amulet:
      • Zakkaz gains Talysen's memories & understanding of concepts such as compassion
      • Wrenlocke frees Gabriel and allows the war to end
      • There is some change of status quo between the Necrotic and the Shin'hare
      Lazgar vs Xentoth

Given the lack of established characters involved, I'm going to say this takes a fairly simple progression:
      1. The Vennen did indeed overextend in their set 5 assault
      2. The Orcs pursue them back right to the heart of Vennen territory (as seen in AZ2)
      3. Lazgar succeeds in her strike to reach Xentoth, though some lesser named characters perish along the way
      4. Lazgar succeeds in killing Xentoth!
      The Vennen are left in disarray, but not wiped out as a] they are presumably quite long-lived and b] if they just stop killing their females in the egg, they can find a new way to live...
      Lazgar survives the mission and returns in glory, but isn't necessarily a force for good...
      Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    • I like your theory about the tales cards, but I'm not sure about the second half of that. When did Archmage Wrenlocke come into this? And him and Talysen... while I'm not certain of Hex's status on the progressive front, I really don't see them making them being lovers a plot point of a major set. Maybe if they phrased it like, "the death of a man so beloved brought another man to war", but even if they made it non-explicit I'm not sure I see Wrenlocke being involved, nor do I think I see love as the primary force behind any of this. Trying to work in absolute power is interesting, but I don't really think its a card based in plot.

As for the vennen... I'm not sure I see Lazgar killing Xentoth as a likelihood. How does one even kill a primal? We don't know enough about them to really say, but by all repute they're akin to forces of nature, if not gods, and Xentoth is the one of blood magic, which strikes me as a pretty damn powerful one. Not sure how that confrontation will play out, but honestly I question if there will be a confrontation with her at all...
      Flair of Fortune
      Cost 3, 3/3, Unique, colorless
      When an opposing champion plays a card, there's a 33% chance to summon a Kismet's Omen.

"Fortune favors all in equal measure. But perhaps not at the same time."

• Legan wrote:

I like your theory about the tales cards, but I'm not sure about the second half of that. When did Archmage Wrenlocke come into this? And him and Talysen... while I'm not certain of Hex's status on the progressive front, I really don't see them making them being lovers a plot point of a major set. Maybe if they phrased it like, "the death of a man so beloved brought another man to war", but even if they made it non-explicit I'm not sure I see Wrenlocke being involved, nor do I think I see love as the primary force behind any of this. Trying to work in absolute power is interesting, but I don't really think its a card based in plot.
      Hex's story writing seems to be a fair bit progressive, since we did get all but direct confirmation that Regi and Lionel are a couple in AZ2. What with the secluded picnics together and the nicknames.

I'm not seeing any possible love connection between Wren and Tal though. Gab doesn't need any enscrolling to give into prejudice against the Necrotic. That's a deep cultural stigma that humans carry, and they did just awaken Taly into the Troll Prince after all. Wren calling upon "absolute power" could easily be because that's his job. He's the Archmage for the humans so it's his job to led their magical offensive against the Underworld. Absolute Power would come in handy for that.

As for the vennen... I'm not sure I see Lazgar killing Xentoth as a likelihood. How does one even kill a primal? We don't know enough about them to really say, but by all repute they're akin to forces of nature, if not gods, and Xentoth is the one of blood magic, which strikes me as a pretty damn powerful one. Not sure how that confrontation will play out, but honestly I question if there will be a confrontation with her at all...
      The best they could maybe hope for is wounding her. The only time we've seen a Primal go down is either because of self-sacrifice or another Primal. There's a slight chance that Lazgar could possibly get a weapon or item enchanted or imbued with the power of the Orcs' mountain god/Primal, but he doesn't seem to be all that active really.