Cory, Thank You

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

HEX Entertainment has taken over publishing for HEX:Shards of Fate, you can read the details of this transition here. The Gameforge HEX forums are currently read only and will be shutting down on 22.03.2017. You can visit the new HEX web site and forums at hextcg.com.

• Cory, Thank You

Cory,

I appreciate, immediately after dumping a whole bunch of stuff on us, that you came out and spoke after a bit over a year of being fairly squelched. I assume all of this stuff, including the divorce, was all at play in how things have been handled since HXE paired up with GF. You spoke frankly and transparently and I'd like to see that happen more often. There are lots of folks in various industries that do weekly/bi-weekly Q&As, I think this is something worth looking into, even if the questions are rigged/cherrypicked.

Now, I'm not gonna make a thread like this with no ulterior motive, as such I'll just come out with it. Your answer for EDH and other game modes was woeful. You hinged it on not wanting more queues. I don't *think* anyone said there needs to be a queue. I know I don't care if there is one. I just want deckbuilding rules (see my old, hilariously long post about EDH in Hex) to exist and be able to challenge friends or whoever with it. A queue is totally unnecessary. Now, while a queue may be in its future, this is a "if you build it, they will come" sort of format. It can stay casual forever, I don't care.

But for the love of all that is holy, I know this is low-hanging fruit due to an email exchange. Can we just have it implemented so I can stop making posts about it and enjoy the casualness of it all?

- schild

Edit: Fixed a crossover from an external conversation that resulted in a wack sentence.

The post was edited 2 times, last by schild ().

• Mejis wrote:

Great post Schild.

Unfortunately I missed the Twitch stream. I'll watch back later, but does anyone have any choice bits of info to share?
      Sure.

- Urunaaz coming back in set 7, new form, deck will come with him, will have animated cards, a merc, sleeves? not sure how it'll work
      - auction house update coming, QoL stuff
      - they're gonna be doing more smaller cash tourneys instead of big ass ones (best idea, I'd prefer a GP sort of series)
      - cory likes boners, I don't know how else to say this
    • schild wrote:

Mejis wrote:

Great post Schild.

Unfortunately I missed the Twitch stream. I'll watch back later, but does anyone have any choice bits of info to share?
      Sure.
      - Urunaaz coming back in set 7, new form, deck will come with him, will have animated cards, a merc, sleeves? not sure how it'll work
      - they're gonna be doing more smaller cash tourneys instead of big ass ones (best idea, I'd prefer a GP sort of series)
      No info about the multiplayer?
    • Shinjica wrote:

schild wrote:

Mejis wrote:

Great post Schild.

Sure.- Urunaaz coming back in set 7, new form, deck will come with him, will have animated cards, a merc, sleeves? not sure how it'll work
      No info about the multiplayer?
      Just that it's eventually coming, but is one of the hardest Kickstarter promises to implement.

Also of note:
      -purchasing platinum will automatically be linked with currency exchange rates
      -deck builder UI overhaul coming (same time as auction house), specifically mentioned that it would help when Hex is on a mobile platform
      "A storm of madness approaches these shores; let us meet it with a tempest of our own."
    • Nuaa wrote:

Now for topic off this thread. I honestly say thanks for that, with set 6 feeling delayed, i have to admit i was slowly losing some faith in game. But all this news and cory's Q&A, that faith is again restored. And i hope Q&A like this happens more often and even if rest you team gets annoyed at him spoiling stuff a bit early, he should keep it up, stuff like that keeps people outlook for game alive. (Game devs that just shut up about future content, community often end up scared of games future)

Agreed. Look at No Man's Sky - as if it all wasn't bad enough, Sean Murray's complete radio silence for so long probably made things 5 times worse.

There is no question that the engine that fuels Hex's development is Cory's undying excitement and unquenchable enthusiasm. That kind of passion shines through every fiber of the game, and people recognize it for what it is and the value it has.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Yes, I would absolutely love to see some kind of Q&A or even just "hang with the devs unofficially and if we let something slip so be it" stream on the official channel more regularly. Once a week, even once a month... make it happen Dinotropia. :D
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • I don't know exactly how Schild likes to play EDH, but for me the best thing about it is playing in big multiplayer free for alls. My EDH deck (Tibor and Lumia, if you're curious) certainly isn't a competitive one on one deck, but it is a lot of fun in a big multiplayer setting. I'm all for an EDH like event in Hex, but personally? it would lack something unless it was designed with multiplayer in mind. And we all know multiplayer is one of those perpetual "we're working on it, but it's tough to implement" things that we're all waiting for.

Talking EDH in general; it's a rather arbitrary rule set to insist we need in Hex. It's a game mode intrinsically tied to Magic, though obviously Hex is close enough something similar could probably be put in place. But why EDH exactly? A set of physical cards has the advantage you can make any game up you like on the fly and play it, but it's a lot harder to implement everything anyone can imagine when you need to programme each game mode in. Take pack wars. I love playing pack wars, but there are at least two different rulesets I know for it (shuffle lands in, versus play one card free every turn ignoring lands), and probably more I don't know. Would I like to see pack wars in Hex? Of course! But which ruleset should they programme in? They can't please everyone.

So, I guess what we'd need is something that's enough like EDH to scratch your itch, but with a distinctly Hex spin on it. I'd imagine we don't really even have enough commanders to make EDH all that great if we copied it directly from Magic. You want a three colour deck? Then I guess you're playing Lanupaw or Daarmak. Dual colour? There are only 11 unique dual colour troops in the game thus far.

And then there's the UI. It's not hard for them to implement the deckbuilding restrictions, I'd imagine; but coding in a separate commander zone that you can play the commander from, and a separate health total for how much commander damage you've taken? That's not exactly trivial.

So maybe someone could design an EDH-like game in Hex that fixes these problems; the lack of commanders, the difficulty in implementing the code, and so on. But time spent doing that is time taken away from developing things that have actually been promised to be added (raids, guilds, AIDA, etc).

Unless they can come up with some kind of "kitchen table" mode, where players can themselves implement arbitrary rules... Which again sounds challenging.
    • Showsni wrote:

Unless they can come up with some kind of "kitchen table" mode, where players can themselves implement arbitrary rules... Which again sounds challenging.
      Unofficially, as far as I'm aware, this was the plan from way back in the day but I have no idea where the status or priority on that is now. Last I heard was that the systems in place are modular so technically speaking, this should be entirely possible. But again, that's old news and I have no way to verify its accuracy or status now.

Not to mention that there is literally no other DTCG out there that would let you do anything like a 'kitchen table'/'sandbox' mode. If HXE did it, it would literally be first of its kind - that in itself is a huge draw imo.

The actual issue is that HXE is still focused primarily on competitive PvP or AI-Only PvE - which is not wrong but it leaves a huge gap in the middle for players who are not primarily competitive or players that want more than just going up against an AI day after day. And the lack of multiplayer or other game formats that could potentially let cards like Cosmic Transmogrifier amongst others see play more often besides just in niche-junk decks exacerbates the issue that there is no in-between.

Competitive PvP gets a lot more variety and way more promotion. From VIP to HXE-supported community events and prizes. PvE gets a reskinned event on some holidays - no exclusive dungeon or even a node, it's just grind more of the same content - to the point I'd rather just AH for the event items as they cost so little anyway. It seems like there is such a push to funnel everyone into competitive PvP that it leaves room for little else, even for casual 'for fun' play (*points to unranked constructed queue wait times as an example*).
      HEX Support | HEX T&C

Twitch | Steam | HEX Furs Telegram | Sterling Starwatcher
    • Showsni wrote:

I don't know exactly how Schild likes to play EDH, but for me the best thing about it is playing in big multiplayer free for alls. My EDH deck (Tibor and Lumia, if you're curious) certainly isn't a competitive one on one deck, but it is a lot of fun in a big multiplayer setting. I'm all for an EDH like event in Hex, but personally? it would lack something unless it was designed with multiplayer in mind. And we all know multiplayer is one of those perpetual "we're working on it, but it's tough to implement" things that we're all waiting for.

Talking EDH in general; it's a rather arbitrary rule set to insist we need in Hex. It's a game mode intrinsically tied to Magic, though obviously Hex is close enough something similar could probably be put in place. But why EDH exactly? A set of physical cards has the advantage you can make any game up you like on the fly and play it, but it's a lot harder to implement everything anyone can imagine when you need to programme each game mode in. Take pack wars. I love playing pack wars, but there are at least two different rulesets I know for it (shuffle lands in, versus play one card free every turn ignoring lands), and probably more I don't know. Would I like to see pack wars in Hex? Of course! But which ruleset should they programme in? They can't please everyone.

So, I guess what we'd need is something that's enough like EDH to scratch your itch, but with a distinctly Hex spin on it. I'd imagine we don't really even have enough commanders to make EDH all that great if we copied it directly from Magic. You want a three colour deck? Then I guess you're playing Lanupaw or Daarmak. Dual colour? There are only 11 unique dual colour troops in the game thus far.

And then there's the UI. It's not hard for them to implement the deckbuilding restrictions, I'd imagine; but coding in a separate commander zone that you can play the commander from, and a separate health total for how much commander damage you've taken? That's not exactly trivial.

So maybe someone could design an EDH-like game in Hex that fixes these problems; the lack of commanders, the difficulty in implementing the code, and so on. But time spent doing that is time taken away from developing things that have actually been promised to be added (raids, guilds, AIDA, etc).

ELDER DRAGON HEXLANDER - a plea, along with a competitive edge case that matters

Done and done.
    • It sounds like fun, and could be a good thing for the game. I'll try to advocate for this as well. They already have the deck-building restrictions for it.

My proposal is Jankleton:
      Immortal Constructed, no bans. (for now, maybe PvE later?)
      Haven't figured out champions and Health yet.
      Jank Bot minimum deck size, with Sin'Glar deck building restrictions.
      Swiss 4 Round weekly/2 times - prizes similar to Forbidden Tomeseeker (week day can rotate monthly as well) Maybe instead than AA, a unique merc or PvE card as 2-2, 3-1, 4-0 prize.