Re: Currency Exchange

    HEX Entertainment has taken over publishing for HEX:Shards of Fate, you can read the details of this transition here. The Gameforge HEX forums are currently read only and will be shutting down on 22.03.2017. You can visit the new HEX web site and forums at hextcg.com.

    • Taking a step back and trying to think about it logically its almost impossible to think this is a bad move. You might have selfish reasons to think that its a bad move(you were getting discounted plat....forever) but when thinking about it in terms of the future of the game and the rest of the world it makes sense. Why would one people get a 30% discount while everyone else pays 30%(or more) more. It just doesn't make sense. It is something that should have happened a long time ago as are much of these changes. So thank you HXE for contuining to move in the right direction.

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
    • BloodVale wrote:

      Taking a step back and trying to think about it logically its almost impossible to think this is a bad move. You might have selfish reasons to think that its a bad move(you were getting discounted plat....forever) but when thinking about it in terms of the future of the game and the rest of the world it makes sense. Why would one people get a 30% discount while everyone else pays 30%(or more) more. It just doesn't make sense. It is something that should have happened a long time ago as are much of these changes. So thank you HXE for contuining to move in the right direction.

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
      The only reason this wasn't more of an issue is that Hex is still a small game. If Hex had millions of people playing, the type of controversy and bad press that having people paying different rates for the in-game currency would've caused would've been enormous.

      It's a damned smart decision to nip it in the bud while the game is still growing before it becomes a major source of contention.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • BloodVale wrote:

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
      Here's why it's a bad move.

      Currently, the market price of 100plat is far below $1 due to these sources of cheap plat. As a rough estimate, hexsales.com is selling a Herofall pack for $1.06 whereas AH data shows it to sell for 173p. This means that 100 plat costs approximately 61 cents.

      Suppose this move is completely successful and the price of 100 plat increases to the $1 that some people think it's supposed to be worth. That means that the cost of everything in Hex has gone up by ~63%.

      Raising the price of everything you sell by 63% is a big deal. It's almost certainly a bigger deal than every other consequence of yesterday's news combined. Basic economics tells us that raising prices for a nonessential good/service means you will sell less. So, fewer players and longer queue times.

      I'm not opposed to the general concept of adjusting prices based on exchange rates, but the chosen rates need to reflect current market reality rather than the outdated notion that 100 plat should be worth $1.
    • The problem will only get worse if hex grows and its not fixed now.

      The overall market has not gone up by 63% in that case it has gone up by 63%*whatever your currency is trading at compared to the $. If it is maintained in the end there wont be a problem if it was always maintained we wouldnt have had this problem to begin with but you cant just set something as a static(when everything that touches it isnt static) and think you won't have an issue when everything else changes.
    • Mach wrote:

      BloodVale wrote:

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
      Here's why it's a bad move.
      Currently, the market price of 100plat is far below $1 due to these sources of cheap plat. As a rough estimate, hexsales.com is selling a Herofall pack for $1.06 whereas AH data shows it to sell for 173p. This means that 100 plat costs approximately 61 cents.

      Suppose this move is completely successful and the price of 100 plat increases to the $1 that some people think it's supposed to be worth. That means that the cost of everything in Hex has gone up by ~63%.

      Raising the price of everything you sell by 63% is a big deal. It's almost certainly a bigger deal than every other consequence of yesterday's news combined. Basic economics tells us that raising prices for a nonessential good/service means you will sell less. So, fewer players and longer queue times.

      I'm not opposed to the general concept of adjusting prices based on exchange rates, but the chosen rates need to reflect current market reality rather than the outdated notion that 100 plat should be worth $1.
      Your hypothesis mostly affects new player in that the value of players with stuff (including plat) has increased.
    • Mach wrote:

      BloodVale wrote:

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
      Here's why it's a bad move.
      Currently, the market price of 100plat is far below $1 due to these sources of cheap plat. As a rough estimate, hexsales.com is selling a Herofall pack for $1.06 whereas AH data shows it to sell for 173p. This means that 100 plat costs approximately 61 cents.

      Suppose this move is completely successful and the price of 100 plat increases to the $1 that some people think it's supposed to be worth. That means that the cost of everything in Hex has gone up by ~63%.

      Raising the price of everything you sell by 63% is a big deal. It's almost certainly a bigger deal than every other consequence of yesterday's news combined. Basic economics tells us that raising prices for a nonessential good/service means you will sell less. So, fewer players and longer queue times.

      I'm not opposed to the general concept of adjusting prices based on exchange rates, but the chosen rates need to reflect current market reality rather than the outdated notion that 100 plat should be worth $1.
      But for many people, the notion that 100 plat is worth $1 is not outdated. Not everyone gets their packs by purchasing them from other players for around $1. Many actually buy platinum with USD at the rate of 100 plat per dollar.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      Your hypothesis mostly affects new player in that the value of players with stuff (including plat) has increased.
      Not necessarily. What you may see instead is that the value of collection items such as cards will become worth less in plat while remaining at their same value in dollars.

      And of course, even if this only affects new players it's a big problem. Hex needs new players.

      Steric wrote:

      But for many people, the notion that 100 plat is worth $1 is not outdated. Not everyone gets their packs by purchasing them from other players for around $1. Many actually buy platinum with USD at the rate of 100 plat per dollar.
      Sure, it won't affect everyone. But it will affect the most price-sensitive players since those players are more likely to be taking advantage of the discounted plat. Those are the players who are most likely to quit because of a price increase.

      In other words, the players who don't care about paying more are the ones who won't see a price increase.
    • Mach wrote:

      BloodVale wrote:

      Anyone that disagrees with this move please before voicing your disagreement really think about it. Are you against it because it will cost you more? Or do you have a legitimate reason as to the reasoning why you should pay less? I can only see positives by everyone being on an even playing field.
      Here's why it's a bad move.
      Currently, the market price of 100plat is far below $1 due to these sources of cheap plat. As a rough estimate, hexsales.com is selling a Herofall pack for $1.06 whereas AH data shows it to sell for 173p. This means that 100 plat costs approximately 61 cents.

      Suppose this move is completely successful and the price of 100 plat increases to the $1 that some people think it's supposed to be worth. That means that the cost of everything in Hex has gone up by ~63%.

      Raising the price of everything you sell by 63% is a big deal. It's almost certainly a bigger deal than every other consequence of yesterday's news combined. Basic economics tells us that raising prices for a nonessential good/service means you will sell less. So, fewer players and longer queue times.

      I'm not opposed to the general concept of adjusting prices based on exchange rates, but the chosen rates need to reflect current market reality rather than the outdated notion that 100 plat should be worth $1.
      That argument is only true once you start factoring the secondary market. Hex's prices aren't changing. In fact your argument makes it seem like because a slice of the playerbase (regardless of size) is doing things one way then the entire playerbase is.

      It isn't as simple as you paint it to be. Hex needs to do what is best for Hex, and this is a tangled mess that only gets worse if they let it continue.
    • In the end, much like how sometimes you have to take bad tasting medication to heal a persistent illness... sometimes there has to be an unpleasant short term effect for a positive long-term.

      Yes, there are some incredibly entitled people who will be bitter over the change. That's inevitable. But in the long-term, it prevents this strange double-standard that makes the game's entire economy seem like a joke.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Mach wrote:

      Pandaemonium wrote:

      Your hypothesis mostly affects new player in that the value of players with stuff (including plat) has increased.
      Not necessarily. What you may see instead is that the value of collection items such as cards will become worth less in plat while remaining at their same value in dollars.
      And of course, even if this only affects new players it's a big problem. Hex needs new players.
      This is completely wrong unless you can show why it is not. If the value of plat and cards is decreased because of the discounted plat, it will go back up if discounted plat goes away. The only way this will not happen is if the non-discounted discounted plat drives people away from Hex. I will bet dollars to donuts that is a very small minority.
    • Funktion wrote:

      That argument is only true once you start factoring the secondary market. Hex's prices aren't changing. In fact your argument makes it seem like because a slice of the playerbase (regardless of size) is doing things one way then the entire playerbase is.
      It's not just secondary market. Discounted Gameforge plat is not secondary market.


      Funktion wrote:

      It isn't as simple as you paint it to be. Hex needs to do what is best for Hex, and this is a tangled mess that only gets worse if they let it continue.
      What makes you think $1=100p is best for Hex? That may have been true in 2013, but times have changed. Competition is fiercer in this post-Hearthstone world.
    • Mach wrote:

      Pandaemonium wrote:

      Your hypothesis mostly affects new player in that the value of players with stuff (including plat) has increased.
      Not necessarily. What you may see instead is that the value of collection items such as cards will become worth less in plat while remaining at their same value in dollars.
      And of course, even if this only affects new players it's a big problem. Hex needs new players.

      Steric wrote:

      But for many people, the notion that 100 plat is worth $1 is not outdated. Not everyone gets their packs by purchasing them from other players for around $1. Many actually buy platinum with USD at the rate of 100 plat per dollar.
      Sure, it won't affect everyone. But it will affect the most price-sensitive players since those players are more likely to be taking advantage of the discounted plat. Those are the players who are most likely to quit because of a price increase.
      In other words, the players who don't care about paying more are the ones who won't see a price increase.

      You are talking about it as a board generalization as if everyones prices are going up relative to the dollar. In fact i think its the opposite a lot of currencies have gained on the dollar which is better for them in the long run. The ones it does hurt is the Euro which has gone down over the past few years. But that is part of the issue here we need to understand what currencies do over the long run. It's not about one country having it better or worse off than another. It is about every country being on equal ground as far as their currency goes. The reason im fairly certain that the dollar was used as a base is because it is fairly stable overall regardless of the fact that HXE is located in the US.